1st Avenue Improvements
1st Avenue Improvements: 6th Street to 9th Street
1st Avenue between 6th Street and 9th Street will undergo total reconstruction in 2018. This is the final section of 1st Avenue that needs to be improved south of Interstate 80.
After work is complete, this stretch of 1st Avenue will feature:
- Four through lanes and one continuous center turn lane
- 10 foot wide sidewalks on both sides
- Upgraded traffic signals at E. 7th Street
- New traffic signals at 6th Street with a new four-leg intersection at 1st Avenue and 6th Street to accommodate a future connection of E. 2nd Avenue on the east leg
- New public utilities (storm sewer, sanitary sewer, and water main)
- Bid in January 2018 IDOT letting
- Low bid: $7,186,554.84 (Langman Construction of Rock Island, Illinois)
- Funding: $5.1 million of Surface Transportation Program funds, and local funds
- Estimated start: March 2018, weather permitting
- Estimated completion: December 2018, weather permitting (driving lanes, sidewalks, and traffic signals)
- Landscaping and final work: Spring 2019, weather permitting
- There will be traffic delays
- Single lane traffic in both directions along 1st Avenue will be maintained
- Pedestrian access will be maintained using temporary surfacing and channelizing barriers
- Access to all businesses will be maintained
- 6th Street will be closed between 1st Avenue and the Baymont Suites driveway from approximately early April until late July
- The temporary traffic signals at the 1st Avenue/E. 7th Street intersection will be removed in late winter/early spring 2018 while E. 7th Street is closed and reconstructed
- Temporary traffic signals will be installed in the summer of 2018 at the new 1st Avenue/6th Street/E. 2nd Avenue intersection during construction. This signal will provide construction access to the new E. 2nd Avenue for the Iowa Arena/UIHC Phase 2 Clinic Projects.
Public Transit Impact
- Coralville Transit riders may experience delays on all routes, especially during peak traffic times. Any changes to routes and schedules will be posted on www.coralville.org/transit.
- Weather permitting, Phase 1 begins Monday, March 19. Northbound 1st Avenue will be reduced to one lane from just south of 6th Street to just south of 9th Street; temporary pavement will be installed along the east side of 1st Avenue. Southbound 1st Avenue will remain two lanes. Phase 1 should be complete by April 12, weather permitting.
*As of March 15, 2018
How We're Keeping Traffic Moving
To reduce traffic delays during construction:
- Staff will monitor traffic times and adjust the timing of traffic signals as needed to help the traffic flow on 1st Avenue
- Installed fiber optic communications at the 1st Avenue/E. 9th Street traffic signal
- Installed pan/tilt/zoom cameras on 1st Avenue at both 5th Street and E. 9th Street, along with existing cameras at 1st Avenue/Highway 6, to remotely monitor traffic for the project corridor and beyond
- Repositioned the traffic detection cameras at 1st Avenue/E. 9th Street to minimize false detections
- Installing traffic detection cameras at the 1st Avenue/Interstate 80 traffic signals to replace the in-pavement traffic detection wire loops (spring 2018)
In anticipation of the project, underground duct banks were proactively constructed in 2017. These duct banks provided places for the private utilities companies to relocate their overhead and underground facilities to be out of the way before the 2018 improvement projects. The duct banks should minimize delays caused by private utility relocations, which can be common during street projects.
- Sign up for e-news alerts ("Construction and Traffic Updates" category)
- Like City of Coralville, Iowa on Facebook
- Follow the City of Coralville, Iowa on Twitter
- Join Nextdoor (a private social network for Coralville neighborhoods)
- Pay attention to construction message boards along 1st Avenue during construction
- Check local news for media releases
- Attend weekly meetings with the City and the contractors, and open to the public:
- Thursdays beginning March 22, 2018
- 9:00-10:00 am
- Coralville City Hall (1512 7th St.)
- call 319.248.1720 for more information
Northbound 1st Avenue will be reduced to one lane from just south of 6th Street to just south of 9th Street Read on...
Drivers should prepare for 1st Avenue & Coral Ridge Avenue road work Read on...
New traffic signals are now in operation Read on...
Trail between the Iowa River Power Restaurant parking lot & E. 7th Street/Quarry Road intersection closed until further notice Read on...